Heymann & Fletcher

What to do if you need to adjust your child support payments

Divorce can be frustrating and emotionally exhausting. If you're like many people, one of the hardest parts of going through a divorce is no longer getting to spend every day with your beloved children. Suddenly, you can only see them on alternating weekends and holidays, with an afternoon thrown in here and there during the week.

Combine that with the expectation of timely and full payment of your child support obligations, and you have a perfect recipe for frustrations and financial issues. If you don't agree with the amount of support ordered during your divorce, you need to speak with an attorney.

Even if you are trying to go through the divorce process amicably, you should prioritize speaking with an experienced New Jersey family law and divorce attorney to formulate a plan for a fair and equitable divorce. An attorney can also help you fight for full or partial custody, which can be difficult to do without legal representation. Even if your former spouse hasn't retained legal help yet, you should speak with a family lawyer as soon as you've been served with divorce paperwork.

Child support depends on custody, needs and income.

The state of New Jersey uses a special formula to determine child support. You can check your information in an online calculator to see if the ordered amount reflects what the state believes you should be paying. It's possible that the court didn't have all of your financial information when the support levels during the divorce were calculated. Many times, the order issued is based on information provided by only one spouse. This may mean the court did not have critical information about your finances when they created the temporary support order.

Even if the courts have the correct information, there may be extenuating circumstances that mean that in your case the ordered level of support should deviate from the typical formula. If your attorney reviews your financial information and agrees that the ordered amount of support is too high, your attorney can request a hearing with the court to adjust your child support. This process can take weeks. It's important to your custody case that you pay the ordered amount of support in full until you've had your hearing and the court has adjusted the amount of support you need to pay.

An attorney will advocate for the best outcome to your divorce

When a family breaks up, everyone loses something. However, with the help of an experienced divorce attorney, you can ensure that your court order for child support is as fair and equitable as possible. Don't wait until your support payments become contentious; talk to an attorney as soon as you need an adjustment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Heymann & Fletcher
1201 Sussex Turnpike
Randolph, NJ 07869

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029
Randolph Law Office Map

Heymann & Fletcher
Mailing Address
PO Box 518
Mount Freedom, NJ 07970

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029