Heymann & Fletcher

Will my ex be liable for increased child support after a raise?

If you are the primary custodian of your child, it is likely that you will be receiving some form of child support from the other parent. The amount that you receive will depend on the number of children that you have together as well as the amount that the other parent earns.

It goes without saying that income is something that can change frequently. Therefore, child support can be subject to change in accordance with it. If you have reason to believe that your ex is now earning more than they were when the child support order was made, it is important to look into your options. You can do this by reading more about the law and how it applies to your situation.

Under what circumstances can I successfully raise my child support payments because of increased income?

If the other parent received a promotion, a raise or got a higher paying job, this is only relevant for the purposes of child support payments if their income has increased by 10 percent or more.

If you are confident that your ex's income has increased by more than 10 percent, you should consider filing a motion for a child support modification. It is important to note that the date you file the motion is the date from which you will be eligible for retroactive payments. For example, if you do not take action in filing a motion until six months after the other parent receives a raise, you will not receive retroactive payments for these six months.

What are other reasons for an increase in child support?

If your child has started spending less time in the care of the other parent and more time with you, this means that you will be spending more on childcare. Therefore, you may be able to modify child support payments in order to balance this. In addition, any other increased costs associated with raising the child can be reason to raise the child support payments.

If you believe that you are entitled to higher child support as a parent, it is important to take action so that you can benefit from retroactive payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Heymann & Fletcher
1201 Sussex Turnpike
Randolph, NJ 07869

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029
Randolph Law Office Map

Heymann & Fletcher
Mailing Address
PO Box 518
Mount Freedom, NJ 07970

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029