Heymann & Fletcher

Man jailed over delinquent payments in child support agreement

Marriages here in New Jersey end for all kinds of reasons, but when children are involved, it is important that they are continue to receive care. Often, this means that one parent will make child support payments to another parent. Though it is essential to do so, it can be a financial strain, especially if the parent making payments experiences a change in his or her income. A recent out-of-state case involving a father who fell significantly behind on his child support payments can serve as a warning to other parents who may be worried about delinquent payments.

The man in question divorced his wife in 2000, when their child was 3 years old. By 2001, the man's child support order was set as almost $800 per month. For undisclosed reasons, the man fell behind in his payment and his ex now says he hasn't made a payment to her since 2004. The man, who worked as a plumber has had multiple warrants issued for his arrest over the years in relation to the missed payments.

At the time of his latest arrest, he'd accumulated nearly $114,000 in unpaid child support. Though he was being held on bond, the judge allowed him to be released on medical furlough for treatment for a condition that remains confidential. Authorities have stated that he will be taken back to jail as soon as treatment has concluded and he is released from the hospital. He was receiving treatment at a local hospital when a deputy originally arrived to arrest him, and the man was concerned that he may not survive transport, not to mention jail.

Though some parents may fall behind in paying their child support for understandable reasons, the potential legal ramifications make doing so not worth the risk. Delinquent payments can result in criminal charges, fines and jail time, as this man's case demonstrates. If a parent here in New Jersey is concerned about the amount of child support he or she is required to pay, it may be possible to have a modification made to the child support order. A seasoned attorney can help a parent understand his or her legal obligations and determine how best to proceed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Heymann & Fletcher
1201 Sussex Turnpike
Randolph, NJ 07869

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029
Randolph Law Office Map

Heymann & Fletcher
Mailing Address
PO Box 518
Mount Freedom, NJ 07970

Toll Free: 800-481-8549
Phone: 862-781-0029